Welcome to another Wacky Wednesday project – making angels.
Angels play an important role in our celebrations of Christmas and are often seen topping trees.
Soon after people first started decorating Christmas trees they started pretending that the angels had done the decorating, to make Christmas more exciting for children. They strung streamers around the tree claiming they were bits of angel hair. Later tinsel was made and became a more popular version of “angel hair”.
Angels are considered a symbol of love and protection and these days come in all shapes and sizes. Some can glow, sing, dance, talk and even play the trumpet.
Our little craft angels are not so sophisticated, but they are really sweet and easy to make – and cost virtually nothing.
LET’S GET STARTED
TOILET ROLL ANGEL
I know it doesn’t sound very sophisticated, but this angel is so cute.
- A toilet roll
- A foam ball to fit just on top of the roll
- Gold paper
- Gold Ribbon
- Small piece gold tinsel
- Gold pipe cleaner
- Googly eyes
- Red marker
- Glue paper around toilet roll
- Glue foam ball to top of roll to form head
- Glue tinsel on top of head
- Make a halo with the pipe cleaner and glue to top of head
- Make a big bow with the ribbon and glue to back of angel to form wings
This angel is particularly sweet
- A broad ribbed shell (known as an orange lions paws shell) – painted silver (I used spray paint).
- A wooden bead
- Silver ribbon
- Silver tinsel rope
- Small fabric flower
- Craft glue
- Glue wooden bead to top (narrow part) of shell
- Glue small fabric flower to top of bead
- Glue silver ribbon around shell where it meets with the wooden bead so that the end meet in the middle front section of the shell as per picture.
- This is not only an extra detail for pretty value but is added protection to keep the head on.
- Make a bow out of more silver ribbon and glue to the back of the shell to form angel wings.
- Glue tinsel rope to the back of shell so that it loops above angel head, like a halo, and can be used to hang from a tree.
I haven’t included my always favoured googly eyes on this one. I like the ‘quiet’ face, but it’s up to you.
- 2 sheets of gold metallic cardstock
- A ping pong ball. Mine was yellow but white would work too.
- Gold tinsel
- Gold pipe cleaner
- Clear sticky tape
- Craft glue
- Roll the long edge of the card towards the other side, pulling one short end tighter as you go so that you have two holes either end, one smaller than the other and the right size to hold the ping pong ball.
- Stable top and bottom, then tape the rest of the join.
- Glue the ping pong ball onto the smaller hole to form the head
- Glue gold tinsel on top of the head.
- Cut a large heart shape from the second piece of gold card
- Cut the heart in half vertically and tape each piece to back of angel for wings
- Cut a small circle from left over card and attach to head (for the halo) with a gold pipe cleaner and glue.
I hope you enjoyed these crafts. Be sure and Pin them if you did. Come back next Wednesday for some really cute Santa crafts.
Check out my Pinterest board for more great Christmas crafts to make.
Happy crafting, and have a gleeful week, Tamuria.