Welcome to another Wacky Wednesday project – wonderful wire birds.
I love using wire to create pretty ornaments as it’s versatile and easy to use, particularly if it’s not too thick.
These little wire birds are so sweet, only use a few materials and can be made in 20 minutes.
They look great hanging in a window or on a mirror and would be a lovely decoration on a gift.
WONDERFUL WIRE BIRDS
LET’S GET STARTED
- Wire – really thin
- Bird template- get your’s here – optional
- Cut a length of wire around 40 cm long.
- Gently bend it to form a bird shape – you can use my template here if you want to.
- Measure a length of the thin wire to fit inside the tail, ensuring you allow extra wire to attach it.
- Using the pliers, attach one end of the thin wire to the end of the tail and add your beads of choice.
- Repeat the process so you have two lengths of thin wire with beads attached to the tail end.
- Cut a short piece of thin wire and attach the other two pieces to it, then attach each end of the short wire to the top and bottom of the bird’s tail.
- Attach a few lengths of the thin wire to the top of the bird’s body, long enough to reach the bottom of the body and extra for attaching.
- Add beads and buttons as desired and attach the other end to the bottom of the bird’s body.
- Add a button eye using the thin wire and attaching it to the top and side of the bird’s face.
- Add wire legs if desired.
There are so many cool things to make with beads and wire.
I made these cute little heart decorations by filling a length of wire with beads, then bending it into a heart shape.
I added fishing line covered with beads to the bottom and fishing line at the top to hang.
I used a similar technique to make sweet fairy wands, you can find out how here.
If you want to more ambitious shape, such as a Christmas tree, you could mould the wire around the outside of a cookie cutter to get your shape.
The ideas are limitless and the end result, lovely.
If you enjoyed this project, please share.
Happy crafting and have a gleeful week.