Welcome to another Wacky Workshops project – an easy way to make your own beautiful bling.
They say there’s no such thing as too much bling and this easy project will have the little ones, and you, making a treasure trove of jaunty jewels in no time.
BEAUTIFUL BLING – CLAY NECKLACES
- Air dry clay (you can buy this at cheap shops and craft stores)
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutters
- Thin wire
- Thick cardboard or wooden slab
- Leather cord
- Fishing line
- Paint/nail polish.
- Use fishing line to cut a small chunk of clay from the block.
- Place this on the cardboard or wooden slab (it will stick to a lot of surfaces and your work will be destroyed).
- Roll it out to around 5 mm.
- Use the toothpicks to gently carve a design of your choice in the centre of the clay.
- Or you can make an imprint by rolling a leaf over the slab of clay.
- You can create a shape using the cookie cutters – I’m partial to hearts, but even a plain circle looks great.
- Use the toothpicks to poke a small hole in the centre, at the top of your shape.
- Allow to dry completely. This could take up to three days, depending on the weather.
- Meanwhile, use the excess clay to roll small balls and poke a hole through each one.
- When the clay is dry, it’s time to add colour.
- Paint with your choice of paint or nail polish. NOTE: If you opt to use paints, you may want to add a layer of matt varnish to give the shape extra strength.
- I even tried using food colouring and it gave a lovely subtle colour. Nail polish was my favourite choice.
- Paint or polish the clay balls you made.
- Use the pliers to cut a short length of wire.
- Place the wire through the hole you made in your shape and twist into a figure 8 shape so there is a loop at the top.
- Squeeze the wire through one or more of the balls.
- Widen the loop at the top and then thread the leather cord through the wire loop to finish your necklace.
MORE IDEAS FOR BEAUTIFUL BLING
Do you have a stash of buttons lying around? Check out my project for making button bracelets.
You can get the instructions for making cute present earrings out of cardboard here.
How about earrings made from paper clips?
Or beautiful and long lasting turquoise jewellery made from potatoes?
Want more fun jewellery making ideas? Check out my Pinterest Board –
Grand Jewellery Making.
I hope you enjoyed these projects. Be sure to share if you did.
Happy crafting and have a gleeful week, Tamuria.