Welcome to another Wacky Workshops project – wonderful wire birds.
I love using wire to create pretty ornaments as it’s versatile and easy to use, particularly if it’s not too thick.
These little wire birds are so sweet, only use a few materials and can be made in 20 minutes.
They look great hanging in a window or on a mirror and would be a lovely decoration on a gift.
WONDERFUL WIRE BIRDS
LET’S GET STARTED
- Wire – really thin
- Bird template- get your’s here – optional
- Cut a length of wire around 40 cm long.
- Gently bend it to form a bird shape – you can use my template here if you want to.
- Measure a length of the thin wire to fit inside the tail, ensuring you allow extra wire to attach it.
- Using the pliers, attach one end of the thin wire to the end of the tail and add your beads of choice.
- Repeat the process so you have two lengths of thin wire with beads attached to the tail end.
- Cut a short piece of thin wire and attach the other two pieces to it, then attach each end of the short wire to the top and bottom of the bird’s tail, where it meets the body.
- Attach a few lengths of the thin wire to the top of the bird’s body, long enough to reach the bottom of the body and extra for attaching.
- Add beads and buttons as desired and attach the other end to the bottom of the bird’s body.
- Add a button eye using the thin wire and attaching it to the top and side of the bird’s face.
- Add wire legs if desired.
There are so many cool things to make with beads and wire.
I made these cute little heart decorations by filling a length of wire with beads, then bending it into a heart shape.
I added fishing line covered with beads to the bottom and fishing line at the top to hang.
I used a similar technique to make sweet fairy wands, you can find out how here.
If you want to more ambitious shape, such as a Christmas tree, you could mould the wire around the outside of a cookie cutter to get your shape.
The ideas are limitless and the end result, lovely.
If you enjoyed this project, please share.
Happy crafting and have a gleeful week.