Welcome to another Wacky Workshops project – this week we’re going full steam ahead with a train desk caddy.
I love crafts that allow you to be adaptive and come up with your own designs.
One of the Goddesses and I watched our favourite crafter, Mister Maker, create a similar caddy and she was keen to give it a go.
One of the highlights of making a craft with Grandy is going into her craft room and choosing materials.
This Goddess found a little gift box she liked and wanted it to be part of the train. As it turned out, I think our caddy ended up better than Mr Maker’s, which only held pencils in the cardboard tube.
You may not have on hand the exact boxes I did, so this project calls for creative thinking to get the result.
STARLIGHT EXPRESS DESK CADDY
LET’S GET STARTED
- Cardboard tube with lid
- Rectangular box with lid
- Small square box with lid
- Wine cork
- Craft glue
- Ideally, your tube should fit on top of the rectangular box with enough room to also hold the smaller box on top. If not, get creative and cut and glue the boxes to make them work.
- Glue the tube on top of the rectangular box’s lid so that its lidded end is flush with the short end of the box.
- Next, glue the smaller box against the other end of the tube – I found it easier to glue the lid only to the rectangular box so that we could pull away the bottom of the small box as another storage space. Be careful not to get glue on both the box and lid or you will not be able to open it.
- Use a small glass or cookie cutter to trace six small circles on the cardboard for the wheels.
- Cut the wheels out and glue them in place along the sides of the rectangular box.
- Cut a small square of cardboard for the roof of the driver’s compartment. NOTE: When you glue this on, avoid getting glue onto the body of the box or you won’t be able to open it.
- Glue the wine cork in place (if you don’t have one, use something with a similar shape) for the smokestack and the plastic bottle cap in place for the steam dome.
- Paint the train your desired colours
- Use markers to add details such as wheel spokes and windows.
- Decorate with stickers.
- Enjoy deciding what to store in your caddy.
Happy crafting and have a gleeful week, Tamuria.